DIY Pool Party Cake Tutorial

Today, I am hosting a joint "pool party" for my two youngest boys (who are turning 7 and 9). They told me they wanted gummy sharks on their cakes, and I went to work designing something simple and fun for them. Below, I am sharing pictures of (and a tutorial for) the DIY Pool Party Cakes I made for my boys.


For each cake, I started out with two 8 inch round cakes. I levelled the cakes and used icing to create a double layer cake. I added a crumb coat, and refrigerated it overnight.

Then:

1) I added some icing and covered a "beach" area with sand (aka graham cracker crumbs).
2) I used food coloring to tint some icing blue and covered the remainder of the cake with the blue "water". I used an icing knife to create waves in the blue icing.
3) I added details to the cake: bear cookies floating in peach gummy rings, bear cookies laying on froot roll up towels, gummy sharks, and cocktail "beach" umbrellas.
4) I also added some sand and water (icing) to the serving tray, but this step is optional.


Check out the final product. Isn't it cute???


I made two because my boys each wanted their own cake. One is chocolate and one is white, so everyone is happy!


A pool party is a perfect theme for a summer birthday, don't you think? I can't wait to share the rest of our party details with you soon.


Gina (aka East Coast Mommy)

3 comments:

  1. Very creative! Thanks for sharing.

    Sarah Butland
    author of Being Grateful, Being Thankful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work. birthday cakes bakersfield

    ReplyDelete

Don't miss any of the fun....